10 Tips to use cloth nappies


I had in mind I wanted to use cloth nappies for my baby, but I knew very little about the new designs. They are literally cloth nappies but different types from the times our mothers used to put on us. So, as a first-time mother, I went through a journey of researching about the whole universe of cloth nappies. I found a few things that work well and others that don’t, and I am going to share with you in case if you are considering using cloth nappies (read the previous post about considering using cloth nappies).

1)      Research about it extensively: there are many different types of cloth nappies. They vary on material, colour, sizes and styles. I had to spend some time looking at different companies’ websites and chat groups (especially Facebook ones, there are many groups that support the cause) to try to understand what style/maker/price I would choose. There are a lot of choices in relation to boosters, wrap, liner, day and night nappy.
2)      Meet up with a cloth nappy volunteer: having a chat with someone that has experience using cloth nappies and can show you some models will make a huge difference. There are so many different fabrics/styles/prices that having some guidance for “where to start” can be very helpful. Cloth Nappy Library Ireland is doing a great job on giving advices and guidance for people. Get in touch with them, it is worth listening to the experts.
3)      Different materials: cloth nappies are usually made from cotton, microfibre and bamboo. Bamboo are usually the ones recommended for nights because they can absorber more, but they are also the ones that take longer to dry.
4)      Watch out for the wrap and use boosters: the secret to prevent leaks is “to have a good wrap” said a mother to me once. It can never be too tight, but it should have the right fit. You can use a booster to make the nappy more efficient.  Also, you can choose a disposable liner or a cloth one. The liner is the first one that will have contact with your baby skin, and if you are using a disposable one, you are still reducing incredibly the amount of waste. Also, you shouldn't use oil based cream with cloth nappies as they decrease the nappy efficiency. So, do use a liner if you go for these creams. 
5)      Finding the right type of nappy for your baby: there is no other way to do that rather than “trying”. After researching online and have met the cloth nappy volunteer I had one idea of what types/prices of nappies I was going to use on my baby. However, it was only when he was born that I really could decide on that. Cloth Nappy Library Ireland has a kit that you can rent out for a very reasonable price, which has many different types and then you can try them all out. I have to say I was a bit lost when I received the kit without knowing which ones were the best … took me some time to see the ones were worth using and the ones that were not. It was nice being able to check with the volunteer during this process.
6)      Remember they vary in size like clothes: Do you know the feeling of finding the right comfortable piece of clothing for your baby? That baby grow that is easy to wear and fits well? That is what you are looking for in relation to cloth nappies. They must fit your baby like clothing, and that is why the size has to be the right one. Too big will be to bulk and too small will be uncomfortable for your baby.
7)      Look for different prices: there are many different companies that you can buy cloth nappies directly online. I would just suggest you compare prices/quality/style and have a look on eBay and Amazon. Also, keep on eye on sales, you can get nice kits in great prices. Just make sure they are breathable fabrics.
8)      Do not overdo in the first 6 weeks: cloth nappies advocators alert that some parents prefer to use cloth nappies from the first time a baby is wearing a nappy, and others only after 6 weeks. I would say: don’t be to strict with yourself. New-borns are not the easiest to fit. I heard many stories from who used from hospital, and others who started when were feeling confident to do so. We started after a few weeks … and we took another few weeks testing it. I can say I was comfortable using cloth nappies when my baby was a month and half.
9)      Do not be to extreme: when I was doing my research and looking for the different types of nappies I could use, I got a donation of nappies from a mother from the Cloth Nappies Facebook group. And I heard a really nice advice from her, saying basically this: “Be flexible, the most important is you to be happy and make your baby happy. I use cloth nappies, but I also used disposable ones if I needed, and this still makes me a good mother”. She was so right! There is no reason to make cloth nappies be a weight for the family. I use disposable ones for swimming and traveling (I travelled overseas with my 3 months baby) so I didn’t have to care a lot in the plane. I also used disposable ones when my baby was in hospital for a few days. On another hand, I am using cloth liners too and I know people who also use cloth wipes.
10)  Be part of a community: in the same way that is helpful to go to breastfeeding groups, it is important to get engaged with cloth nappy groups or Frappucinos (mothers interested in cloth nappies meeting for a coffee). You learn from each other’s experience, you can have some tips and just having the feeling that you are not on your own. There is a whole community believing in the same cause than you.

Our son is 8 months and we are happy using cloth nappies, once you get in the system it all flows. We use pocket microfiber nappies with a booster and a cloth liner during the day and bamboo nappies during the night. We put a wash every second day directly from the nappies bag. Never worry about yellow marks, the sun and the rain will take care of them I learnt. My son’s skin accepted them very well and we are very proud to be part of the cloth nappies communities!
Give it a goal! If you have any doubt, don’t hesitate to be in touch!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog